Book Review : Max on Life, Answers and Insights to Your Most Important Questions
by Max Lucado
Lucado has a strong streak of common sense and his answers are based from the Bible. He shares specific scriptural references as well as allegorical stories drawing conclusions to answer modern questions and problems. The amazing thing is that the Bible does have answers that are poignant for us today.
Max on Life would be particularly helpful for an individual who does not have a strong personal faith or are new believers in Christ. It is a wonderful resource. My personal first source for answers would be to go directly to the scriptures and prayer, though Lucado will offer a different perspective and you must choose for yourself what you will believe.
Max on Life is divided into the following sections:
1) Hope: God, Grace, and “Why am I here?” – pages 1-36.
2) Hurt: Conflicts, Calamities, and “Why me?” – pages 37-74.
3) Help: Prayer, Scripture, and “Why church?” – pages 75-118.
4) Him/Her: Sex, Romance, and “Any chance of a second chance?” – pages 119-150.
5) Home: Diapers, Disagreements, and “Any hope for prodigals?” – pages 151-176.
6) Haves/Have-Nots: Work, Money, and “Where’s the lifeline?” – pages 177-196.
7) Hereafter: Cemeteries, Heaven, Hell, and “Who goes where?” – pages 197-230.
Though I don’t agree with everything, I recommend this book as a guide and hope you will find insight. In my Bible reading I have always used the King James Version, so when Lucado used the New Living Translation (NLT), New Century Version (NCV), Amplified Bible and other versions the scriptural references felt unfamiliar and did not resonate with me. Hopefully Lucado’s work will inspire each one of us to reach out to Christ to develop our own relationship with Him.
3.75 out of 5 stars